Get Fall Furnace Maintenance Before Winter Arrives
October 11, 2017
It’s fall in Central Illinois and winter will be here before we know it. It’s the time of year to contact your local heating contractor for your fall furnace maintenance. Annual maintenance on your heating system should be done to ensure your heater will function at peak performance throughout the winter so you will not experience a “no heat” situation. Having no heat during a cold night is not comfortable or healthy and costs for emergency furnace repair in Urbana or Champaign, or other Central Illinois cities, can get expensive. It would be best to get your request in now before arrival of the busy season when heating technicians’ schedules will be booked solid. Here are some of the crucial tasks the technician will perform:
For Most Types of Heating Systems:
- Examine the heat exchanger for leaks. If your heat exchanger has a leak, combustion gas will be released into your home’s air supply, which can be a serious safety hazard.
- Set boiler or furnace controls for efficient usage of energy and comfortable heating.
- Inspect the chimney and vent pipe for rust or damage.
- Ensure your furnace or heating system is working at peak efficiency and optimal performance so you can avoid not having heat when you need it most.
For Forced-Air Heating Systems:
- Inspect combustion chamber for leaks and cracking.
- Properly set blower control and air temperature.
- Conduct a test for CO (carbon monoxide) levels and fix any problems found.
- Inspect your furnace for any visible dirt or rust and remove any found.
- Clean and lubricate the blower.
- Verify your heating system is emitting the correct flame color and strength and correct, as needed.
- Ensure there is a solid connection between the ducts and furnace.
For Steam Heating System:
- Increase the efficiency by cleaning out sediment from the boiler.
- Conduct tests on both the high-limit controls and low-water cutoff safety limit.
- Clear sediment and debris.
- Examine a water sample from the boiler and take precautionary measures to prevent rust damage and sediment.
- Clean the heat exchange chamber.
Servicing a Hot-Water Heating System
- Ensure proper functioning of the high-limit control.
- Inspect the pressure tank to ensure that it is filling with air, rather than water.
- Clean heat exchange area.
- Inspect and conduct a performance test on the pressure relief valve.
Ready for your home heating inspection and tune-up? Contact the experts at Bratcher Heating & Air Conditioning for your fall furnace tune up. We have been providing heating to homeowners and businesses in Central Illinois since 1983. Our experienced technicians can provide the proper service to your heating system that will keep you comfortable all winter long. Call us or visit our website to learn more about our complete home comfort products and services. If you need a reputable heating company in Urbana or any nearby city in Central Illinois, please call the experts at Bratcher Heating & Air Conditioning.