Important Things to Consider Before Buying a New Furnace

March 16, 2018

Your furnace is an indispensable piece of equipment in your home, especially during cold weather. Without it, your family will be left in the cold and at a risk of developing diseases brought about by extremely low temperatures. There are days and nights when your unit has to work 24/7 to keep your home toasty. However, this puts a lot of stress on the furnace and if your system has been serving you for 15 years or more, it may not be as energy-efficient as it once was.

If you are looking for a new furnace for your home, there are a few things you need to consider before making that purchase. Choosing the right heating system can sometimes be an overwhelming task for a homeowner and calling a professional is necessary for making an informed decision. Remember to do business only with a licensed heating company in Champaign, IL to ensure you get the best solution.

Here are a few helpful tips to keep in mind when buying a new furnace.

Energy Efficiency

Your furnace is one of the major energy-consuming appliances in your home. It’s important to determine the energy-efficiency of a furnace to give you an idea of how much fuel it needs to heat your home.

A furnace’s ability to convert gas into heat is measured by its annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) rating. It shows the percentage of the fuel consumed that is actually used for generating heat. To put it simply, the higher the AFUE rating, the greater the savings.

A furnace with an AFUE of 85 percent converts 85 percent of the fuel into heat while the other 15 percent goes out the chimney or elsewhere.

Proper Sizing

Buying the largest or the most expensive furnace doesn’t really guarantee ultimate comfort. When it comes to furnaces, bigger isn’t always better and smaller doesn’t always mean it’s cost-effective.

When a furnace is oversized, it heats up the home quickly but uses a lot of fuel. A bulky furnace is prone to short cycling, which means the unit will shut itself off before the thermostat even makes the right temperature readings. Too much short cycling isn’t healthy for the furnace as it causes the unit to break prematurely.

On the other hand, when a furnace is undersized, it is incapable of properly heating your home, which causes it to run longer in an attempt to reach your desired temperature. Not only does it consume more fuel, it also forces your furnace to work harder. Similar to an oversized furnace, a unit that is too small is bound to fail earlier than it should — prompting you to replace it much sooner than if you installed a correctly sized system.

Safety Features

When it comes to home comfort, energy-efficiency is not the only thing that matters; you should also consider the safety features of your furnace, which can protect your home. High-efficiency furnaces that have a minimum of 90 percent AFUE use outside air for combustion. Not only does this prevent your home from catching fire, it also keeps your furnace from being damaged caused by vapors from household cleaning products.

High-efficiency furnaces use an electronic ignition system that is proven to be more reliable and safer than old furnaces that utilize standing pilot light. This ignition system only uses heat when the furnace calls for heat. These furnaces are also designed to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Smart Thermostat Compatibility

When buying a new furnace, consider a unit that is compatible with smart thermostats, which have the ability to learn your daily schedule and preferences, making it easier to conserve energy by allowing the thermostat to control your home’s temperatures.

These devices also remind you of your maintenance schedule and have the ability to monitor your fuel consumption. In addition, smart thermostats can also detect a dirty filter and will let you know when it needs cleaning or replacing.

Call the Heating Experts

These are just some of the key points you need to consider when buying a new furnace. Our HVAC experts at Bratcher Heating and Air Conditioning can help you make a wise decision by employing scientific and practical ways in choosing the right system for your home.

We are the trusted Champaign furnace installation company that is dedicated to providing you with the best heating and cooling solutions for your home.